Assistant Professor, Accounting (Riverside City College)
Interested candidates must apply by the deadline listed below by 8:00 p.m., Pacific Standard Time.
Business & IST (R)
Physical location of the position:
Tenure Track (Faculty)
Column C, Step 1 to Column H, Step 6
$64,097 to $98,756
Is this position categorically (grant) funded?
The Business and Information Systems & Technology department is seeking a full-time, tenure-track faculty member in the discipline of accounting. The successful candidate will be responsible for teaching the full accounting curriculum. Instructional assignments may include weekdays, evenings, weekends and online sections.
The ideal candidate will be equity minded and eager to work with a diverse student population and will be experienced in culturally-responsive pedagogical practices for engaging African-American, Latinx/Hispanic, Native-American, and Pacific Islander students, which are historically underserved. Riverside City College (RCC) currently enrolls 28,939 students, the majority of whom are from racially minority populations. 60% of RCC's students are Hispanic, 8% are African-American, 7% are Asian, 0.3% are Native American, 0.7% are Pacific Islander, 21% are White, and 2% are multiracial. RCC has been designated a Hispanic-Serving Institution, reflecting the great responsibility that the College has to the educational attainment and economic well-being of the surrounding community.
Master's in accountancy or business administration with accounting concentration; OR Bachelor's in business with accounting emphasis or business administration with accounting emphasis or economics with an accounting emphasis AND Master's in business, business administration, business education, economics, taxation, finance; OR the Equivalent. (NOTE: A bachelor's degree in accountancy or business administration with accounting concentration, with a CPA license is an alternative qualification for this discipline.) (All degrees and units used to satisfy minimum qualifications shall be from accredited institutions.)
Accounting teaching experience is required. Community college or baccalaureate level teaching experience is desired.
- A minimum of one to three years of recent experience teaching accounting or accounting-related disciplines at the post-secondary level.
- A minimum of five years of work experience in an accounting capacity in public accounting or private sector, preferably with managerial responsibilities over a group of direct reports.
- Relevant industry work experience in a supervisory or managerial role with experience in a variety of areas such as general ledger maintenance, month-end work flow, receivables and payables management, compliance reporting, internal reporting, creation of budget and cost models, and accounting software and research tools.
- Evidence of experience in curriculum development, including creating new courses.
- Evidence of knowledge of and use of current and emerging educational technologies in today's learning environment.
- Evidence of participation in professional development activities in the accounting profession and/or the education community.
- Evidence of a strong commitment to academic excellence, quality instruction, student motivation, and student success.
- Evidence of an ability to incorporate alternative instructional activities and exercises to achieve learning outcomes.
- Evidence of participation in student success initiatives in a post-secondary setting.
- Evidence of an ability to address the instructional needs of a diverse and frequently underprepared student population.
- Evidence of an ability to effectively engage with and facilitate authentic learning for students of diverse backgrounds, cultures, and experiences.
- Evidence of an ability to adapt teaching pedagogy to the knowledge level (developmental through transfer) and personality of each individual and class.
- Evidence of an ability to self-reflect and respond to an evidenced-based assessment of student learning.
- Evidence of innovation, scholarship, or leadership in the teaching of accounting.
- Desire and demonstrated ability to participate actively in department, division, and college committees and in the shared governance of Riverside City College.
- Desire and evidence of an ability to take on leadership roles both within the department and in the institution as a whole.
- Ability to work with computers, and use the Internet and interactive technologies to engage students in on-campus and online courses (where academically appropriate); and intrinsic motivation and ability to develop and teach online courses.
- Evidence of an ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY:
Evidence of a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students (E.C. 87360a).
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The successful candidate will, among other things:
1. Fulfill the duties of a full-time instructor, including, but not limited to, holding weekly office hours and completing 24 hours of "flex credit" through various available activities and seminars.
2. The instructional assignment may include, but is not limited to: lecture and/or laboratory classes in Accounting: financial accounting, managerial accounting, tax accounting, cost accounting, accounting information systems, and other accounting courses in auditing or advanced accounting in accordance with established course outlines.
3. Participation in discipline/department decision making processes and work to provide leadership in the development, revision, and assessment of Accounting curriculum.
4. Program development, Improvement of Instruction, and other professional matters are also expected of all department faculty.
5. Assignments are based upon the assumption of workload of forty hours weekly, including but not limited to conducting classes, class preparation, student evaluation, office hours, committee work, curriculum and program development, student learning outcomes assessment, program review, student activities, and other duties per the bargaining unit agreement.
6. Institutional service activities are expected of all faculty members.
7. Responsibilities also include maintaining standards of professional conduct and ethics appropriate to the professional position.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
1. Ten-month, tenure-track position.
2. Salary is commensurate with academic preparation, and full-time teaching or equivalent experience with a range from Column C, Step 1 to Column H, Step 6 of the current Faculty Salary Schedule.
3. Medical and dental benefits are provided for the employee and legal dependents.
4. A $50,000 life insurance policy is provided for the employee.
5. Orientation to college is required as is adherence to Improvement of Instruction policy.
6. Maintaining broad knowledge of the academic or occupational area and design pedagogy related to learning outcomes is expected.
7. Responsible for all other conditions of employment required of full-time faculty members such as a willingness to be involved in District and College promotional activities, active participation in college committee work, student activities and other support services, and appropriate professional activities.
The Riverside Community College District complies with all federal and state rules and regulations and does not discriminate on the basis of ethnic group identification, national origin, religion, age, gender, gender identity, gender expression, race, color, ancestry, genetic information, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, or any characteristic listed or defined in Section 11135 of the Government Code or any characteristic that is contained in the prohibition of hate crimes set forth in subdivision (1) of Section 422.6 of the California Penal Code, or any other status protected by law. This holds true for all District employment opportunities. Inquiries regarding compliance and/or grievance procedures may be directed to the District's Title IX Officer/Section 504/ADA Coordinator. Harassment of any employee/student with regard to ethnic group identification, national origin, religion, age, gender, gender identity, gender expression, race, color, ancestry, genetic information, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, or any characteristic listed or defined in Section 11135 of the Government Code or any characteristic that is contained in the prohibition of hate crimes set forth in subdivision (1) of Section 422.6 of the California Penal Code, or any other status protected by law, is strictly prohibited. The Title IX Officer, Section 504/ADA Coordinator for the District is Ms. Lorraine Jones, 3801 Market Street, Riverside, CA 92501. Telephone Number is: (951) 222-8039.
Required Applicant Documents:
Resume or Curriculum Vitae
Letter of Recommendation 1
Letter of Recommendation 2
Letter of Recommendation 3
Masters or Equivalent Transcript
Optional Applicant Documents:
Effective Employment Date:
* All offers of employment will be contingent upon the availability of funds and approval by the Board of Trustees.
* Only electronic, on-line applications are accepted. All supporting materials, including letters of recommendation, required or optional, must also be in electronic formats and attached to the electronic, on-line application when applying. Supporting materials are only accepted as Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) or Microsoft Word files and must be less than 2 MB in size.
* Paper applications and supporting materials WILL NOT be accepted!
*Cover letter must address how applicant meets the qualifications for the position.
* Letters of recommendation must be recent and NON-CONFIDENTIAL and submitted electronically when applying on-line.
*Copies of degree diplomas/certificates are NOT a replacement for transcripts.
*Interested candidates must apply by the deadline listed above by 8:00 p.m., Pacific Standard Time.
*The District will make reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities. Applicant should contact Human Resources at (951) 222-8595 for assistance.
Application Types Accepted:
To Apply, visit:
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency