Title: Graphic Design
Rank: Assistant Professor
Status: Tenure Track
Start: Fall 2019 (August 2019)
We are seeking an innovative designer with a strong commitment to teaching and sophisticated graphic design skills. The successful candidate will teach lower and upper-division courses of typography and graphic design within a Graphic Design BFA program. Specific assignments will depend on department needs. Outcomes assessment, service learning, and project-based learning are important components of the university curriculum. Faculty members are expected to engage in service activities at all levels of the university and provide academic and professional advice to students. The successful candidate will be expected to communicate effectively and work cooperatively with faculty, staff, and administration. Other duties will include, but not be limited to, participating in program development, actively engaging in research and/or creative problem-solving activities and committee service at all levels of university governance.
Our Students:California State University, Fresno is committed to serving our students with a focus oninclusion. Fresno State has been recognized as a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HIS); anAsian American/Native American/Pacific Islander-Serving Institution (AANAPISI); andhas been designated to the Community Engagement Classification by the CarnegieFoundation for the Advancement of Teaching.?
Required Education (from an accredited institution or foreign equivalent.):
- An earned M.F.A. with an emphasis in Typography or Graphic Design or related field from an accredited institution.
- Ability to demonstrate a commitment to working effectively with faculty, staff, and students from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds
- Expertise in current graphic design applications
- A strong online portfolio demonstrating knowledge and skills indicative of the field of Typography and Graphic Design
- Experience and insight into the traditional and contemporary methods of typography and graphic design, including both theoretical and practical/applied aspects
- Expertise and insight into the digital craft of typography as applied to screen-rendered media, such as websites, user interface design, and motion graphics
- Knowledge of current and foundational theories and methods in User Experience and/or User Interface Design as it applies to Graphic Design
- A background in the historic, cultural and social evolution of Graphic Design and Typography, from both a technical and artistic perspective
- Minimum of two years of significant and relevant professional, personal or research design experience
- College teaching experience
- A record of active participation or leadership roles in relevant professional organizations
- Experience with curriculum development, knowledge and application of contemporary theories and pedagogy in Graphic Design, Typography and User Experience Design
Review of applications will begin on 11/1/2018.If it chooses, the committee may review applications submitted after this date. This position automaticallycloses May 1, 2019.
Attached the following:
- Letter of interest or cover letter specifically addressing required experience and preferred qualifications
- Current curriculum vitae
- Names and contact information of three professional references
- Statement of teaching philosophy
- A link to a portfolio website with examples demonstrating the applicant's skills and proficiencies related to this position, as well as examples of work by your students. The portfolio website needs to be accessible for evaluation during the entire search process. Finalists will be reviewed again during a time window to be determined by the search committee
- Statement addressing your commitment to working with faculty, staff, and students from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
Candidates invited for an on-campus visit must submit by mail/e-mail within designated deadline. The Search Chair will send information and requests for these items.
- Three current letters of recommendation (dated within 12 months of full consideration date.)
- Official transcripts
Committee Information and Search process:
Search Chair: Dr. Laura Huisinga
Department of Art & Design
College of Arts & Humanities
About the Fresno State
California State University, Fresno is an engaged University. We focus on broadening students' intellectual horizons, fostering lifelong learning skills, developing the leaders of tomorrow, promoting community involvement, and instilling an appreciation of world cultures. We nurture cultural competence by celebrating the rich diversity of the campus community and welcoming the participation of all. Members of the University community are expected to work effectively with faculty, staff, and students from diverse ethnic, cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds. For information on the University's commitment and dedication to creating a university known for its integrity, civility, equity, respect and ethical behavior, please visit: http://www.fresnostate.edu/academics/diversity The campus is ranked 24th in the nation by Washington Monthly; ranked 3rd by U.S. News & World Report in graduation rate performance for public institutions; and, ranked 41st in the nation in MONEY Magazines 50 Best Public Colleges.
Tenure-Track Faculty members gain a clear path to tenure through the University's Probationary Plan Process. For additional information, please visit: www.fresnostate.edu/academics/facultyaffairs/procedures/facultyrtp/. We value our commitment to the success of our faculty by providing services from the Center for Faculty Excellence to Research and Sponsored Programs.
About the College and Department:
At the heart of California State University Fresno, the College of Arts and Humanities is the largest academic units of the university. It is a stimulating center of intellectual and cultural activity, dedicated to academic excellence, integrity, intellectual freedom, and civic and cultural engagement with the San Joaquin Valley.
The Department of Art and Design offers exciting and creative opportunities for students to nurture and expand their artistic and design senses by providing a broad range of experiences that prepare its graduates for art and design-related opportunities and artistic endeavors.We providecutting-edge experiences that prepare graduates for art and design-related employment opportunities. Students study and produce work that includes state-of-the-art computer applications, conceptual art and design theories and applications, and leading-edge art, graphic design, and interior design projects.
Other Campus Information:
In compliance with the Annual Security Report & Fire Safety Report of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, California State University, Fresno has made crime-reporting statistics available to applicants, students, and employees online at www.fresnostate.edu/police/clery/index.shtml. Print copies are available by request from the Campus Police Department.
A background check (including criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily for this position. An offer of employment may be withdrawn or employment may be terminated based upon the results of the background investigation.
The person holding this position is considered a "limited reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July21,2017 as a condition of employment. You can obtain a copy of this Executive order by accessing the following website: http://www.calstate.edu/eo/EO-1083.html.
California State University, Fresno is a smoke-free campus. For more information, please click http://fresnostate.edu/adminserv/smokefree/index.html
California State University, Fresno is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency