This ad is expired.
NURSING ASST (TEMP)
Job Opening ID: 176792
Work Location: Michigan Medicine - Health Sys
Full Time/Part Time: Part-Time
FLSA Status: Nonexempt
Organizational Group: Um Hospital
Department: UMH 4C
Posting Begin/End Date: 8/13/2019 8/20/2019
Paid Time Off:
Career Interest: Temporary Job Opening
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
BASIC FUNCTION AND RESPONSIBILITY
Under direct supervision from a Registered Nurse or other designated supervision, provides direct patient care and assists in the maintenance of a safe environment that supports patient care needs.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLITIES
- Obtains vital signs, temperature, height/length, weight, oxygen saturation and pain scores; reports abnormal values to RN. Obtains other measurements (i.e., head circumference, abdominal girth) per unit standard.
- Utilizes palpation/auscultation and Doppler to determine heart rate and blood pressure.
- Observes, monitors and reports the overt physical condition of assigned patient(s).
- Measures and records intake and output including from drains
- Functions as a sitter.
- Assists physician/provider during diagnostic procedures; assists and supports patient before and during procedures; assists in specimen collection.
- Responds to monitor alarms.
- Reapplies pulse ox probe.
- Performs point of care blood glucose testing; maintains and calibrates equipment and supplies.
- Collects specimens, including urine, stool, sputum and swabs
- Initiates, maintains and records 24-hour urine collection.
- Transports blood and laboratory specimens.
- Discontinues peripheral IV's.
- Removes peripheral IV dressings.
- Assists patients with, or administers routine personal hygiene including baths, oral care, skin care.
- Performs oral suctioning utilizing Yankauer tips, suction toothbrushes and oral care sponges.
- Performs preventative skin care, pre-operative preps, perineal care.
- Provides toileting/bedpan/urinal; remove/empty foley catheters.
- Accompanies, escorts, ambulates, moves, turns, dangles, lifts, transports and attends/holds/positions patients.
- Assists with range of motion; applies rehabilitation equipment; releases and applies devices, i.e., wheelchair seatbelt, adaptive equipment, etc., in accordance with specific instructions, to position patients to limit movements.
- Provides patient nourishment by performing such duties as passing and collecting trays, providing snacks/beverages, assists with ordering meals/snacks; feeds patients.
- Connects, drains and disconnects urinary catheters.
- Discontinues urinary catheters.
- Applies condom catheter.
- Performs clean urinary catheterizations.
- Determines bladder status with Bladder Scanner.
- Applies external Fecal Incontinence Device (FID) bags.
- Cleanses and redresses non-sterile wounds.
- Applies binders, ACE wraps, hot and cold applications; provides soaks and special baths.
- Assists RN with complex dressing changes.
- Assist with tracheostomy care on stable tracheotomies including such duties as cleaning and redressing area; assisting with tape and tie changes.
- Assist with P&PD by holding the patient.
- Coach/prompt patient to use incentive spirometer, and in coughing and deep breathing.
- Measures and obtains TED hose; applies Sequential Compression Devices.
- Performs post-mortem care and transports deceased patients to the morgue/pathology.
- Responds to call lights and alarms; answer unit telephone and relay messages prn.
- Empties and measures drainage collection and emesis.
- Assists RN with admissions, discharges, and transfers.
- Provides skin care at the direction of the RN, applying select topical emollients containing medication (i.e., cortisones, tar, silvidine, butt cream, and dermatology lotions).
- Initiates emergency care utilizing the ABC'sAirway, Breathing, Circulation.
- Transports materials, supplies, medications, specimens, patient belongings, equipment and medical records.
- Performs patient care comfort-safety rounds per unit routine.
- Assists with application and maintains restraints.
- Documents care provided.
- Stocks supplies and equipment in patient care spaces.
- Sets up patient rooms for admission or procedure.
- Makes up beds with linen, changes bed linens and linen hamper during patient stay.
- Maintains orderliness of the patient room and unit, including equipment/cords, linen, trash, patient belongings, etc.
- Cleans and maintains inventory and outdates of equipment and supplies in patient care spaces.
- Cleans assigned equipment and areas of work.
- Checks emergency equipment.
- High school diploma, GED or equivalent is required.
- A minimum of 6 months recent experience in a patient care setting or junior status in an accredited BSN program or second year in an accredited ADN program is required.
- Ability to read and write required.
Certification as a Nurse Aide or Medical Assistant, recent experience in an acute care inpatient setting, and basic computer skills desired.
This position is for all shift
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
To apply, visit http://careers.umich.edu/job_detail/176792/nursing_asst_temp
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency