Foothill-De Anza Community College District
Adaptive P.E. Class Assistant
Posting #: 16-014
Campus: De Anza College
Number of Working Months: 11 Months
Starting Salary: $17.74 (per hour)
Open Until Filled: Open Until Filled
Employment Duration: Part-Time
Starting Salary: $17.74 (per hour); Salary Grade: C2-30
Full Salary Range: 17.74 - $23.37 (per hour)
The Foothill-De Anza Community College District is currently accepting applications for the classified-hourly position above.
De Anza College Mission Statement:
De Anza College provides an academically rich, multicultural learning environment that challenges students of every background to develop their intellect, character and abilities; to realize their goals; and to be socially responsible leaders in their communities, the nation and the world.
De Anza College fulfills its mission by engaging students in creative work that demonstrates the knowledge, skills and attitudes contained within the college's Institutional Core Competencies:
- Communication and expression
- Information literacy
- Physical/mental wellness and personal responsibility
- Civic capacity for global, cultural, social and environmental awareness
- Critical thinking
Reporting to the Disability Support and Programs and Services Supervisor, assist the Adaptive Physical Education (APE) Instructor by providing assistance and oversight to students participating in APE evening classes. Duties include assisting students with range of motion by stretching, strength development, and cardiovascular fitness. Assist students getting on and off gym equipment using safe transfer techniques. Maintain a safe environment by identifying students experiencing distress or potential environmental hazards. The assistant will be responsible for the cleaning and non-technical maintenance of equipment, mats, and gym area. This position will work Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday evening classes for a total of 5-7 hours per week.
Position reports to the Supervisor, Disability Support Programs & Services at De Anza College. Eleven (11) month or Academic Days Only (ADO) assignment.
- Assist students with disabilities with their personalized exercise program.
- Participate in periodic in-service trainings and apply learned skills.
- Assist in the proper set-up and take down of adapted equipment.
- Assist instructors with the design of course materials.
- Assist in the proper operation and maintenance of adapted exercise equipment.
- Notify the classroom instructor or the Adapted Physical Education (APE) Specialist of any medical symptoms arising with enrolled students.
- Assist in maintaining accurate and timely records.
- Record-keeping techniques.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
- Basic swimming techniques.
- Demonstrate commitment to the increased understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for all cultural groups, women, and the disabled.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
- Perform semi-skilled tasks in assigned work area with minimal training.
- Work with some independence under general supervision.
- Lift supplies and objects required of specific job assignments.
- Effectively function in a pool 4-7 ft. deep and demonstrate basic swimming techniques.
- Assist in the lifting/transfer of students when necessary.
- Understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
- A combination equivalent to a High School graduate, enrollment in De Anza College's Massage Therapy or similar program, or satisfactory work or educational experience in community college Adaptive Physical Education or related field AND one (1) year successful experience working as an exercise assistant in a community college Adaptive Physical Education Program or demonstrated ability to perform required tasks and skills of an intermediate/advance nature.
- Possession of a current CPR Certification.
- Office/classroom environment.
- Outdoor environment.
- Hearing and speaking to exchange information and make presentations.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard.
- Seeing to read a variety of materials.
- Ability to lift up to fifty pounds.
- A District on-line application on http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/. *In the application, you will provide information, which demonstrates your understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
- A cover letter addressing your qualifications for the position.
- A current resume of all work experience, formal education and training.
If any required application materials are omitted, the committee will not review your application. Items not required (including reference letters) will not be accepted. For full-consideration, all application packets must be received by 11:59 pm on the closing date.
Please allow yourself ample time to complete your application and resolve any technical difficulties that may arise with your submission. We do not guarantee a response to application questions within 48 hours of the closing date. You may also visit our Applicant Information to assist with technical difficulties at: http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/a-applicant-instructions.html
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Position: Part-Time, Permanent, 11-months per year
Starting date: As soon as possible upon completion of the search process.
Persons with disabilities who require reasonable accommodation to complete the employment process must notify Employment Services no later than the closing date of the announcement. The successful applicant will be required to provide proof of authorization to work in the U.S. All interviewing costs incurred by applicant are the responsibility of the applicant.
For more information about our application process contact:
Foothill-De Anza Community College District
12345 El Monte Road
Los Altos Hills, California 94022
To apply, visit: http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/
Copyright 2015 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency