Position Title Assistant Professor/Coordinator, English as a Second Language
Position Type Faculty
Status of Position Tenure Track Faculty
Prairie State College is seeking a full-time tenure track ESL faculty member to teach college-level courses that provide academic support to limited English proficient students enrolled in credit-bearing courses. Primary responsibilities include teaching English Learner Cohort Sections of COL-101 First Year Seminar and COL-102 Career Development Seminar; creating and teaching co-requisite across disciplines; and working with Testing Services to establish processes for implementing an English Language Proficiency college placement test. Year one of the position is grant funded through the Illinois Community College Board Innovative Bridge and Transition Program Grant.
1. Creates and teaches developmental education co-requisite English language courses for non-native English speaking students; works with faculty in English, Communications, and ESL to develop curriculum and Official Course Outlines according to established Curriculum Committee guidelines.
2. Teaches English learner cohort sections of COL 101 First Year Seminar and COL 102 Career Development Seminar; scaffolds and adapts curriculum with consideration for immigrant and international students.
3. Works with Dean to schedule above-mentioned new and cohort sections of courses.
4. Works with Testing Services and other faculty to determine appropriate English Language placement testing and procedures.
5. Selects and orders textbooks and other instructional materials.
6. Attends scheduled staff, committee and task force meetings and other conferences and meetings.
7. Contributes to departmental, divisional, and institutional initiatives, including committees, meetings and other activities.
8. Complies with the Innovative Bridge and Transition Program grant activities.
1. Master's degree in TESOL, applied linguistics, or a Master's degree with 18 graduate credit hours language acquisition and pedagogy.
2. At least five years or equivalent part-time experience teaching academic ESL in an American college or university.
3. Ability to use technology to enhance instruction.
4. Familiarity with ESL placement instruments and methods of ongoing assessment.
5. Ability to work independently
6. Ability to initiate and lead collaborative projects with other faculty and staff.
7. Ability to work well with diverse colleagues in collaborative, trans-disciplinary, and integrative teaching and learning environments.
8. Excellent organizational skills and detailed and task-oriented.
1. At least 3 years or equivalent part-time experience teaching adult, non-native English speakers at a community college.
2. Experience teaching college-level English composition, speech communication, or career-tech courses.
3. Experience working with immigrant populations.
4. Proficiency in another language.
5. Experience in ESL curriculum development.
To apply, click here: https://prairiestate.peopleadmin.com/postings/1762
Anticipated Work Hours and Days Per Union Contract
Posting Date 06/18/2018
Open Until Filled Yes
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency