Deputy Chief of Police Operations
Category: Campus Police
Department: Campus Police
Locations: Worcester, MA
Posted: Feb 11, 2024
Type: Full Time
Position ID: 172566
About Quinsigamond Community College:
Quinsigamond Community College (QCC), the largest community college in Central Massachusetts serving over 13,000 students in degree and certificate programs, adult education and workforce development. QCC offers over 70 associate degree and certificate career options in Business, Health Care, Technology, Liberal Arts, and Human Services. Additionally, over 137 credit and 300 noncredit courses are offered online, as well as a wide variety of classroom non-credit courses, workshops, and seminars. Classes are provided on the main campus, in downtown Worcester (Healthcare, Workforce Development, Continuing Education), at the Worcester Senior Center (Hospitality & Recreation Management), at Burncoat High School (Automotive Technology), and in the city of Southbridge.
QCC is committed to 100% student success as evidenced by its ambitious strategic plan. This commitment is furthered by a college-wide Equity Appraisal-currently underway-designed to assist the College to better serve students who have historically been underserved and underrepresented in higher education.
QCC is especially interested in candidates who, through their research, teaching, and/or services, will contribute to the diversity and excellence of the college academic community.
Manages, directs, and coordinates the activities of the operations division of the Campus Police Department on all campuses. This includes the Patrol Division, Communications Division, Detective Division and Security Division. This position serves as second in command within the department and acts as Chief of Police in his/her absence or direction.
Reports directly to the Chief of Police.
Functional supervision is exercised over all Police Officers and support staff.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supports the Chief by providing direction, guidance and supervision of subordinate staff.
- Assists the Chief in developing the duty schedule and ensures that each shift is adequately staffed; this includes any special events that require support personnel.
- Makes periodic inspections of all operations to ascertain that such operations are functioning effectively and efficiently.
- Keeps the Chief informed of daily shift activities and Clery compliance issues.
- Plans, coordinates and supervises staffing for special events on campus.
- Assists the Chief in formulating uniform crime reports from the computerized Records Management System, monthly and yearly crime statistics mandated by the Campus Security Act.
- Oversees the Sex Offender Community Notification system on campus and maintain a relationship with the Worcester Police Sex Offender Unit and the Mass Sex Offender Registry Board.
- Understand all internal workings of police equipment to aid in the 24x7 running of a police department.
- Ensures departmental compliance with written SOP's and current community policing methods.
- Writes evaluations for junior ranking staff using proper evaluation methods.
- Responsible for the supervision of day-to-day operations.
- "On Call" on a 24 / 7 basis as needed.
- Sits on all key stakeholder committees, such as Hiring and Construction.
- Enforces all state laws, College rules and regulations, and makes arrests on all properties owned and leased by Quinsigamond Community College.
- Works as an active member of the Emergency Management Response Team.
- Leads by example and encourages all sworn and non sworn members of the department to conduct themselves with a demeanor and professionalism that promotes a feeling of cooperation between the department and the community we serve.
- Ensures that all departmental goals, objectives and Standard Operating Procedures are followed.
- Actively supports the teaching and learning process; practicing honesty and integrity in and out of the classroom; strives to create and support a student-centered environment while fostering academic innovation and excellence.
- Works actively with other areas of the college to ensure a spirit of college wide collaboration, collegiality, civility, and teamwork. Respects the function of dissent in an academic institution while advancing a collegial atmosphere of campus collaboration.
- Embraces the ideals of diversity and inclusiveness and supports the equal rights of all people by advancing the understanding and appreciation of differences including age, race, gender, ability, religious convictions, socio-economic status, ethnic heritage, or sexual orientation.
- Provides flexible, responsive and high quality service to all, be they students, community, or staff, and continuously assesses processes and procedures and revises accordingly.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Master's degree in Criminal Justice or related field.
- Minimum of 10 years law enforcement experience, including a minimum of three years of the rank of Sergeant or higher.
- Active Certification as a Special State Police Officer under Ch. 22 Sect. 63.
- Certification in ICS 100 and 200 as well as NIMS 700.
- Strong knowledge of the Student Right to Know Act (Jeanne Clery Act) required.
- Knowledge of state and federal laws pertaining to crime, safety and fire codes.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Business computer skills to include Microsoft office suite.
- Working knowledge in the use of IMC-Tritech Records Management program.
- Demonstrated ability to read, write, speak and comprehend moderately complex oral and written instructions in English.
- Must possess strong reading, writing, mathematical and analytical skills
- Applicants must be a graduate of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Municipal Police Training Committee (MPTC) Basic Recruit Officer Academy (or eligible for a Permanent Exemption by the MPTC) and must satisfy all requirements set forth by the Massachusetts Peace Officer Standards and Training Commission for certification as a Police Officer in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Full-time SSPO Academy is accepted.
- Must have and maintain a current Massachusetts driver's license.
- Must possess a valid License to Carry (LTC) from the appropriate city or town.
- POST Certifiable
- Graduates of major policing executive development programs including FBI National Academy, Police Executive Research Forum Senior Management Institute for Police, Police Executive Leadership Institute and/or FBI-LEEDA Trilogy recipients are encouraged to apply.
- MPTC Instructor in any subject matter field.
Quinsigamond Community College is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnicity, gender, disability, religion, age, veteran status, genetic information, gender identity or sexual orientation in its programs and activities as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and college policies. The College prohibits sexual harassment, including sexual violence. Inquiries or complaints concerning discrimination, harassment, retaliation, or sexual violence shall be referred to the College's Affirmative Action and/or Title IX Coordinator, the Massachusetts Commission against Discrimination, the Equal Employment Opportunities Commission or the United States Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights.
Quinsigamond Community College will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
Diversity, inclusion, and equity are core values at Quinsigamond Community College. We are passionate about building and sustaining an inclusive, respectful, and equitable environment for all students, staff, and faculty. Every member on our college campus enriches our diversity. We support inclusion and are dedicated to ensuring equity in access to opportunities.
Quinsigamond Community College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Members of underrepresented groups, minorities, women, veterans, persons with disabilities, and all persons committed to diversity and inclusive excellence are strongly encouraged to apply.
Successful applicants will be required to complete a Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI/SORI) request.
Anticipated salary range is $110,000 to $115,000 annually with complete fringe benefit package. Complete fringe benefit package including competitive health insurance, dental insurance, basic life insurance, long-term disability insurance, paid sick, vacation and personal leave, educational benefits for employee/spouse/dependents, and excellent retirement benefits. Actual salary will be commensurate with education and experience. Mondays - Fridays, 8:00 am - 4:00 pm
Visit our Web Site at www.qcc.edu/human-resources for information about our positions.
All applicants must apply online by submitting:
- Cover Letter
- Names and contact information for three (3) professional references
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Applicants who do not meet the qualifications as stated above are encouraged to put in writing precisely how their background and experience have prepared them with the equivalent combination of education, training and experience required for the responsibilities of this position.
Quinsigamond Community College only accepts application materials through our online application system. We are unable to accept application materials through mail, email, fax, or hand delivery. If you don't have access to a computer, please visit Human Resources Office Monday- Friday from 8:30am-4:30pm.
Quinsigamond Community College understands that persons with specific disabilities may need assistance with the job application process and/or with the interview process. For confidential assistance, please contact the Human Resources Office 508-854-2883 or email@example.com.
To apply, visit https://qcc.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=172566
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency