Campus Safety Sergeant
Worcester Polytechnic Institute - WPI
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
The position of Police Dispatcher serves as the first point-of-contact for callers and walk-in customers requesting service from the WPI Police Department and supports the overall mission of the WPI Police Department to provide a safe and secure living and learning environment for all members of, and visitors to, our community. Members of the WPI Police Department play a direct role in promoting an inclusive and welcoming environment that recognizes, respects, and values diversity in its many forms. The campus community is made up of people of all ages, ethnicities, genders, orientations, lived experiences, and perspectives who come to WPI to learn, work, and create a positive impact on the world through STEM.
Successful candidates must be able to actively demonstrate an ability to represent values and philosophy of the WPI Police Department and the University specific to diversity, equity, inclusion, and acceptance in all interactions with the varied audiences on an active college campus in an urban setting.
WPI Police embraces a collaborative community police relationship and strives to maintain a working philosophy of integrity, civility and dedication as the foundation of our values.
The Police Dispatcher is a uniformed, civilian position with no law enforcement authority. The work schedule is five days on, two days off, and may include various working hours. The Police Dispatcher must be available to work occasional overtime assignments.
The WPI Police Department is a fully Accredited Law Enforcement Agency under the Massachusetts Police Accreditation Commission (MPAC). The department first achieved Accreditation in 2017.
Below are intended to describe the principal duties of the Police Dispatcher and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties and responsibilities.
- Operates a multi-line telephone system and directs calls to appropriate personnel providing information and resources as requested.
- Interprets emergency calls for service and initiates police, fire and emergency medical response, as needed, to incidents.
- Provides efficient, professional, and courteous interactions at the police service window.
- Maintains high ethical standards while promoting positive police - community relations with WPI community members and the general public.
- Documents pertinent information concerning incidents on campus, personnel matters, and other police related matters within the police daily log using IMC software.
- Monitors intrusion, duress, fire and card access alarms and directs personnel to respond.
- Monitors Worcester Police radio and advises WPI police personnel of emergency calls occurring in the WPI peripheral property area.
- Monitors WPI Facilities and WPI SNAP radio transmissions.
- Facilitates card access requests using Lenel software.
- Prepares and submits work orders to various campus partners.
- Receives and relays confidential LEAPS/CJIS/NCIC information to authorized personnel.
- Operates Milestone video software program.
- Updates dispatch emergency response and policy manuals located at the dispatch desk.
- Dispenses keys to authorized persons following prescribed procedures.
- Performs required tasks related to the T-2 parking software program.
- Provides statistical data reports to the Chief or designee when requested.
- Participates in Campus-Safety-Authority (CSA) Clery training.
- Participates in personal development and training initiatives.
- Maintains confidential information appropriately.
- Complies with the Department policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Must be dependable, honest and possess highly efficient communication and interpersonal skills.
- Able to exercise sound judgement.
- Able to communicate accurate and concise information.
- Able to multi-task while working in a stressful and fast paced environment.
- Able to follow written and verbal instructions.
- Proficient with computer skills.
- Familiar with access control and record management systems.
- Willing to work various shifts including days, evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Willing to work overtime and call-in shifts.
- Able to work in various types of weather conditions.
- Applicants must be at least twenty-one years of age at time of application.
- Must possess a valid Massachusetts operator's license.
- Must possess or be willing to obtain First Responder and CPR certifications.
- Must pass a NCIC/LEAPS/CJIS exam.
- Must provide three written letters of reference.
- Must pass a criminal background check.
- Must pass on-the-job training during probationary period.
- Possess an associate's degree in a criminal justice or related field, or show progress working towards degree.
WPI requires that all employees to be fully-vaccinated for COVID-19 and boosted. For additional information, please go to https://www.wpi.edu/we-are-wpi/health-and-safety/vaccine-information
United States of America (Non-Exempt)
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.
To apply, visit: https://wpi.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/WPI_External_Career_Site/job/Worcester/Dispatcher_R0002235-1
WPI is a vibrant, active, and diverse community of extraordinary students, world-renowned faculty, and state of the art research facilities. At WPI, we have competitive and comprehensive benefits, including health insurance, long-term care, retirement, tuition assistance, flexible spending accounts, work-life balance and much more.
Diversity & Inclusion at WPI
WPI is committed to creating an inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued and respected; a place where every student, faculty and staff member can be themselves, so that they can study, live, and work comfortably, to reach their full potential, and make meaningful contributions in order to meet departmental and institutional goals. WPI thrives on innovative practice and welcomes diverse perspectives, insight, and people from diverse lived experiences, to enhance the community environment and propel the institution to the next level in a competitive, global marketplace.
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency