Main Campus - Boston, MA
Reporting to the Assistant Vice President, HRIS, Benefits, and Payroll, the Payroll Administrator performs all activities necessary to process multiple payrolls, including maintaining related records, filing tax reports and voluntary deduction reports, processing involuntary deductions such as levies and garnishments, preparing accounting transactions and documents, documenting and updating procedures, and preparing on demand reports for management review.
The Payroll Administrator also works closely with members of the Finance Department in order to execute all necessary financial management responsibilities and maintain and adhere to fiscal control policies, and provide support for other relative activities for administration with respect to payroll related function.
- Responsible for end-to-end, timely processing and oversight of multiple Simmons University payrolls (exempt and non-exempt payrolls) in accordance with labor regulations and standard accounting and payroll principles;
- Develop and adhere to processes for the collection, calculation and entering of pay data;
- Perform all accounting-related activity necessary for entry of payroll data into the General Ledger;
- Process fiscal year-end reports and reconcile W-2 information for accuracy; escalating errors in payroll accounting;
- Document and reconcile discrepancies to maintain a clear record of reconciliation and adjustments;
- Manage bill processing associated with payroll wage garnishments, pay levies, and other involuntary court-ordered payments including reporting to the necessary State office or jurisdiction;
- Work with the Benefits Manager to coordinate employee leaves of absence under FMLA or other unpaid leaves;
- Keep accurate records of employee unemployment and disability insurance payments to ensure no overlap in state benefits and wage payments;
- Collaborate with Information Technology, Human Resources and other internal Simmons departments (including third-party vendors such as Workday, ADP, Sierra-Cedar, etc.) to ensure security protocols are evaluated, documented and in place for all pay related systems;
- Work with current pay vendor (ADP) for technical issues with Workday integration and resolve any discrepancies resulting from glitches or malfunction of the time reporting hardware;
- Maintain updated procedure manual for payroll processing and assist in training of other staff in Workday Payroll and ADP in a super-user role, to troubleshoot general user questions or basic technical issues.
- Keep abreast of current payroll tax requirements and relevant laws and/or regulations associated with processing of employee wage data, including payroll taxes, employee federal and state income and social security taxes, and other required reporting (SUI, workers compensation, deferred benefits, etc);
- Advise the Assistant Vice President on pay practices related to FLSA, fringe benefit reporting, W-9 and W-4 recording, as well as other related trends, process improvements or best practices within the payroll functions;
- Conduct regular payroll reporting as required and assist with financial audits related to pay records and associated general ledger.
- Respond to high-volume payroll-related inquiries as the first point of contact via email, walk-in, and phone in a friendly and professional manner, with diplomacy and confidentiality in a high traffic office environment;
- Assist with general questions related to payroll, leave accruals, wage deductions, fringe benefits, and other pay related issues;
- Assist employees with general wage and process inquires.
- Bachelor's degree, or a minimum five years in a similar role required;
- Relative work experience in higher education or comparably sized human resources/payroll function in a mid-large organization preferred;
- Familiarity with Workday a plus;
- Advanced experience with Microsoft Excel and accounting/finance;
- Excellent customer service, interpersonal, and support-oriented;
- Excellent problem solving/judgment skills, and high level of attention to detail and accuracy;
- Strong skills using and understanding the flow of transactions in an integrated and automated payroll accounting system;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise discretion and sound judgement;
- Demonstrated understanding of wage and hourly laws regarding state, federal, and local payroll taxes.
Instructions to Applicants: Please submit a resume and cover letter in the Resume/CV section of your application.
As a University committed to diversity, Simmons encourages applications broadly. Simmons is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to continuing to develop a more diverse faculty, staff, student body and curriculum .
To apply, visit https://simmons.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Simmons-Careers/job/Main-Campus---Boston-MA/Payroll-Administrator_R05146
Located in Bostons historic Fenway area, Simmons College is a small, private, non-sectarian College which has educated students for enriching careers and purposeful lives since 1899. Working at Simmons means joining a collaborative, diverse and mission-driven community of educators and professionals.
We prepare students to be leaders for themselves, their communities and the world. Our faculty and staff members lead by example - sharing a commitment to excellence and putting the students first.