This ad is expired.
Staff Captionist - Transcriptionist
Location: San Antonio, TX
Job ID: 6674
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Org Marketing Statement
The University of Texas at San Antonio is a Hispanic Serving University specializing in cyber, health, fundamental futures, and social-economic development. With more than 34,000 students, it is the largest university in the San Antonio metropolitan region. UTSA advances knowledge through research and discovery, teaching and learning, community engagement and public service. The university embraces multicultural traditions and serves as a center for intellectual and creative resources as well as a catalyst for socioeconomic development and the commercialization of intellectual propertyfor Texas, the nation and the world. Learn more online, on UTSA Today or on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, YouTube or LinkedIn.
UTSA is situated in a global city that has been a crossroads of peoples and cultures for centuries, values diversity and inclusion in all aspects of university life. As an institution expressly founded to advance the education of Mexican Americans and other underserved communities, our university is committed to ending generations of discrimination and inequity. UTSA, a premier public research university, fosters academic excellence through a community of dialogue, discovery and innovation that embraces the uniqueness of each voice.
Posting End Date
Applications will be accepted through 11:59 PM CDT on 09/19/2021. At the discretion of the hiring department, this position posting may close once a sufficient number of qualified applications have been received.
Salary Range: $31,200 - $38,000 annualized, commensurate with education, experience and qualifications.
Hours per Week
Non-Exempt Position: 40 hours per week.
Required Application Materials
- In order to complete the application, applicant first must complete the typing test indicating a Net Speed of 65 wpm or higher and attach it along with uploaded resume and cover letter. If you are unable to attach, please email your typing test to email@example.com
- Test online at http://official-typing-test.com/, and take the 5 minute test for accuracy.
- Please submit all documents together in a single document in order to be considered.
For more information, please call Student Disability Services at 210-458-4157.
Function: To provide accurate computer-aided speech to text service for class lectures, discussions, announcements, recordings, meetings, and related academic/UTSA events to facilitate communication access and equal opportunity for deaf/hard of hearing students registered in Student Disability Services.
Scope: Responsible for providing speech to text services for deaf/hard of hearing students registered in Student Disability Services.
- Provides real-time meaning for meaning captioning for class lectures, discussions, announcements, conversations, meetings, events, and other spoken word situations using computer aided technology for students who are deaf/hard of hearing and who are registered with Student Disability Services
- Accurately transcribes verbal information and video materials as needed in both academic and UTSA events as assigned.
- Works with faculty and college departments concerning the usage of captioning services and to gain understanding of relevant concepts to better facilitate captioning for deaf/hard of hearing students.
- Works effectively in teams with other captionists
- Prepares for classes by reviewing syllabi, notes, text from Blackboard Learn or professor's website and by developing a comprehensive glossary for a particular subject and/or classes.
- Assists the Coordinator (DHH) with scheduling and additional requests for captioning services and substitute requests.
- Assist Coordinator with distribution and maintenance of equipment (i.e. laptops, removal of equipment forms, software and compliance)
- Assist Coordinator (DHH) with all preparation materials needed for part-time captionists training, scheduling of mentor sessions with new part-time staff, updating and maintaining online training module and maintaining mentor program.
- Reports any student related concerns to the Coordinator (DHH).
- Participates in department and division-wide quality improvement activities, trainings and meetings as necessary.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- High School diploma or GED
- Pass typing test with 65 wpm, limited errors.
- Experience using a word processor and/or laptop to type information.
- Must successfully complete training program provided by Student Disability Services Office.
- Proficiency in the use of English grammar, spelling and auditory listening skills.
- Ability to quickly understand and condense information while typing.
- Associates degree or equivalent college hours from an accredited institution.
- Extensive experience using Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel.
- One year of experience as a Part Time Captionist/Transcriptionist using Instant Text Software in the Student Disability Services Office.
- General classroom, lecture hall, laboratory environments, and office.
- May require evening and weekend work assignments.
- May have assignments at both the downtown and main campus.
- May have assignments in virtual classroom setting.
- Travel and parking, expenses are the employee's responsibility. Applicants must be adaptable and open to working in both environments.
This position will be primarily located:
Hybrid-Regularly: This position will require working both remotely and on campus (approximately five or more days on campus per month). Travel and parking expenses are the employee's responsibility. Applicants must be adaptable and open to working in both environments.
- UTSA is a tobacco free campus.
- This is a security sensitive position. Employment is contingent upon a successful background check.
- Applicants selected must be able to show proof of eligibility to work in the United States by time of hire.
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, it is the policy of The University of Texas at San Antonio to promote and ensure equal employment opportunity for all individuals regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetic information, and veteran status. The University is committed to the Affirmative Action Program in compliance with all government requirements to ensure nondiscrimination. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply. UTSA campuses are accessible to persons with disabilities.
To view the full job posting and apply for this position, go to https://zahr-prd-candidate-ada.utshare.utsystem.edu/psp/ZAHRPRDADA/EMPLOYEE/UTZ_CG/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=6674&PostingSeq=1
Copyright 2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency